Unit 1: Science and Art

 I see the division of arts and cultures on the UCLA campus by the way it is split between "North campus", the arts and literature side of campus, and "South campus", the science and math side of campus. The south campus buildings are built with much more modern and basic building structure, while north campus buildings are usually brick buildings with hand-structured carvings and sculpture gardens.

I have always thought of myself as more of a facts and reasoning type of person which made me lean more towards science majors. However, this often conflicted with my religious perspectives, as my mother is very religious and I grew up going to a Christian church. In science, Christianity is often put into question and sometimes even rejected. I also thought of myself as a generally creative person, but felt that this skill would not be useful in a scientific profession.


I am on the softball team here at UCLA, and our team is made up of many different kinds of people with many different majors. Similar to science, sports are also wrongly viewed as an opposite to art. However, some of the most creative people I know are on my softball team, and are also science majors.

After the readings from this week, this makes much more sense to me, and makes me feel like I am able to apply both my “right brain" and my "left brain" in any career path that I choose.
Image result for ucla softball
Image result for ucla campus



http://www.ust.ucla.edu/ustweb/Projects/PROJECTS/ucla/scsc_img1.htm

Comments

  1. I thought it was insightful of you to bring in three different examples of what you believe is the difference between art and science and then relate it to your personal life. The examples helped to further the readings, especially Snow's, by giving valid evidence that the third culture can exist. I related a lot when you talked about sports because it was interesting that you looked at it from a perspective that creative people can play sports as well. My thoughts on this comment were that sports could be a form of art because it involves a performance and science because there are certain methods to tasks like hitting a band. Looking at it from both lenses can help to prove that both cultures can relate to each other in unison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with your argument here. The south campus and north campus have completely different energies along with students having different morales. I can also relate to being on a sports team filled with a handful of kids aspiring to be different things. I would consider myself less of a scientific and reasoning type of person and more of artistic person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unit 7: Neuroscience and Art

Unit 6: Biotechnology and Art

Unit 2: Math and Art